NBTY’s web sales climb by 10.6% in 2013
December 4, 2013 09:19 AM
NBTY Inc. booked sales gains in 2013, led by e-commerce growth that doubled its overall sales increase.
For the 2013 fiscal year ended Sept. 30, NBTY, a retailer of vitamins and nutritional supplements and No. 128 in the 2013 Internet Retailer Top 500, reported:
- The Internet accounted for 65.8% of all direct response sales compared with 61.3% of direct response sales in fiscal 2012. Based on these metrics, Internet Retailer calculates that e-commerce sales increased 10.6% to $162.3 million in fiscal 2013 from $146.8 million in fiscal 2012.
- Direct response sales, which include catalog and web, grew year over year 3.1% to $246.73 million from $239.40 million. Internet orders accounted for about 70% of total 2013 direct response orders.
- Total sales grew about 5.3% to $3.16 billion from $3.00 billion.
- North American retail sales declined 0.1% to $233.5 million from $233.8 million.
- Net income of $129.5 million, down by 11.6% from net income of $146.5 million in the prior year.
The web accounted for 5.1% of total sales compared with 4.9% in fiscal 2012.
NBTY did not break out fourth quarter earnings in its annual report filed last week with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. But the filing did note that its flagship e-commerce site, Puritan.com, draws average traffic of about 1.3 million unique visitors each month.