The Buckle posts a 13% web sales gain in Q1
May 22, 2015 11:56 AM
E-commerce shined for youth apparel retailer The Buckle Inc. in its fiscal first quarter. Online sales increased 13% year over year to reach $24.2 million compared to an approximately 0.15% decrease in total sales.
The Buckle is No. 257 in the Internet Retailer 2015 Top Guide.
Without going into detail, the company says some of the growth stems from better, updated imagery on its e-commerce site, according to a transcript of the first-quarter earnings call with investors. “The merchandise team is continually being involved with the online team as far as the presentation of the product online, and reviewing photo shots, and what might make it more appealing online or show the quality of the product. So, I think that had some small benefit as well to the online sales,” president and CEO Dennis Nelson told investors, according to a transcript provided by Seeking Alpha.
For the first quarter ended May 2, The Buckle reports:
• Online sales of approximately $24.2 million, up 13.1% from $21.4 million in the similar period last year.
• Total net sales of $271.3 million, down about 0.15% from $271.7 million.
• A 2.2% decline in comparable-store sales.
• Net income of $33.6 million, down 9.9% from $37.3 million for the similar period last year.
• General and administrative expenses of approximately $11.6 million, up 13.7% from $10.2 million.