AutoZone’s web sales outpace store growth
September 20, 2011 12:25 PM
AutoZone Inc. saw sales and earnings grow in fiscal 2011.
For the year ended Aug. 27, AutoZone, No. 121 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Online sales, including all sales from AutoZone.com and AllData.com, which sells diagnostic and related repair work software, grew year over year 11.7% to $166.28 million from $148.86 million.
- Total sales of $8.07 billion, an increase of 9.6% from $7.36 billion in the prior year.
- Comparable-store sales increased 6.3%.
- Net income increased to $848.9 million, up by 15.0% from $738.3 million.
Internet Retailer calculates the web represented 2.1% of total sales, compared with 2.0% in 2010.
“For fiscal 2011, we delivered 30% growth in earnings per share,” says Bill Rhodes, chairman, president and CEO. “We also achieved several all-time company records: exceeded $8 billion in sales, surpassed $1 billion in commercial sales, grew fiscal year EBIT margin to 18.5% and exceeded 30% return on invested capital ending the year at 31.3%.”
EBIT refers to earnings before interest and taxes.
For the fourth quarter, AutoZone reported:
- Online sales, including all sales from AutoZone.com and AllData.com, of $53.33 million grew year over year 11.8% to from $47.69 million.
- Total sales of $2.64 billion, an increase of about 8.1% from $2.44 billion the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010.
- Comparable-store sales increased 4.5%.
- Net income increased to $301.5 million, up by 12.1% from $268.9 million.
Internet Retailer calculates the web represented 2.0% of total sales, the same as in the prior year quarter.