Amazon marketplace sales double in 2014
January 6, 2015 12:45 PM
Amazon.com Inc. marketplace sellers in 2014 sold more than 2 billion items globally, the web-only mass merchant says. That’s double the 1 billion items sold via the Amazon marketplace a year earlier.
Amazon, No. 1 in the Internet Retailer 2014 Top 500 Guide, also says more than 2 million sellers operate on its marketplace. Together, those sellers accounted for more than 40% of total units sold on Amazon last year.
“It has been an incredible year for marketplace sellers including popular brands and businesses of all sizes selling on Amazon,” says Peter Faricy, vice president for Amazon Marketplace.
Amazon also provided the following marketplace-related status updates:
• The number of sellers worldwide using Fulfillment by Amazon grew more than 65% year-over-year worldwide. Fulfillment by Amazon lets merchants store inventory at Amazon warehouses with Amazon handling shipping to the customer. Amazon did not detail how many marketplace sellers use Fulfillment by Amazon. Last year, Amazon also said the service’s usage grew 65%.
• Units shipped via Fulfillment by Amazon globally increased 50% year-over-year during the 2014 holiday shopping season.
• Amazon marketplace sellers based in China and Hong Kong increased international sales by 80% year over year in 2014. China represents a juicy e-commerce target for Amazon, which last year expanded its same-day delivery in the country, among other moves. The Internet Retailer magazine January cover story reports much more about what international and other moves Amazon might make in 2015.
• Products available in India through Fulfillment by Amazon tripled in 2014 compared with 2013.
• Holiday deals offered by Amazon marketplace sellers increased 250% in 2014 compared with 2013. Units sold by those sellers increased 400%.
• Amazon marketplace sellers took in orders for some 16 million units on Cyber Monday, Dec. 1. That represents a 23% increase from 13 million Cyber Monday units in 2013.
• Orders processed on Cyber Monday by sellers using Amazon Payments increased more than 60% year over year. Amazon in early 2014 revamped its payment processing service to woo more startup e-retailers.