Adidas increases global web sales 69%
March 6, 2015 01:08 PM
The world online turned out to be a pretty good place for athletic apparel and equipment manufacturer adidas Group in 2014.
For the year ended Dec. 31, adidas, No. 230 in the Internet Retailer 2014 Top 500 Guide and No. 88 in the Internet Retailer 2014 Europe 500, reported:
- Global web sales increased 68.8% to $466.3 million (422 million euro) from $276.3 million (250 million euro) in 2013.
- Total sales increased 2.3% to $16.05 billion (14.53 billion euro) from $15.69 billion (14.20 billion euro) in 2013.
- Retail sales increased 11.7% to $4.20 billion (3.84 billion euro) from $3.76 billion (3.44 billion euro) in 2013.
- Net income was $548.1 million (496 million euros) compared with $872.9 million (790 million euro) in 2013
- The web accounted for 2.9% of total sales compared with 1.8% in the prior year.
“2014 was a year with ups and downs for the adidas Group,” CEO Herbert Hainer says. The bright spot for global sales was e-commerce, he says. “We have multiplied our e-commerce business in the past five years.”
Two years ago adidas announced ambitious plans to grow its worldwide e-commerce business. To keep pace adidas says it will continue investing in its universal e-commerce platform with new initiatives, such as faster site search, and rolling out e-commerce to new international markets, such as Latin America. “We have utmost confidence we will overachieve the targeted 500 million euro mark by the end of the year,” Hainer says.