American Apparel dresses up Q3 web sales
November 8, 2011 04:33 PM
Sales grew across the board for apparel manufacturer and retailer American Apparel Inc. in the third quarter. But the channel that grew the most was online.
For the third quarter ended Sept. 30, American Apparel, No. 273 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 reported:
- Web sales increased 14.9% to $10.0 million from $8.7 million in the third quarter of 2010.
- Total sales increased 4.0% to $140.9 million from $135.5 million.
- Retail sales grew 1.3% to $87.7 million from $86.6 million.
- Comparable-store sales grew 2%.
- Net loss was $7.2 million compared with $9.5 million in the third quarter of 2010.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 7.1% of total sales compared with 6.4% in the prior year.
“For the year, we have also seen record sales in our online channel,” says CEO Dov Charney.
For the first three quarters:
- Web sales increased 21.5% to $29.9 million from $24.6 million in the first three quarters of 2010.
- Total sales increased 0.2% to $389.7 million from $389.0 million.
- Retail sales decreased 2.1% to $244.2 million from $249.5 million.
- Net loss was $28.2 million compared with $67 million in the first three quarters of 2010.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 7.7% of total sales compared with 6.3% in the prior year.