Web sales at LuLuLemon grow 94% in Q2
September 12, 2011 03:01 PM
The growth spurt in direct sales at specialty women’s apparel retailer LuLuLemon Athletica Inc. shows no signs of abating.
For the second quarter ended July 31, LuLuLemon, No. 229 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide posted:
- An increase in direct sales , which the retailer says are virtually all online, of 93.8% to $18.6 million from $9.6 million in the second quarter of 2010.
- An increase in total sales of 39.5% to $212.3 million from $152.2 million.
- Growth in comparable-store sales of 20%.
- Growth in net income of 76.1% to $38.4 million from $21.8 million in the second quarter of 2010.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 8.8% of total sales compared with 6.3% in the second quarter of 2010.
In the second quarter LuLuLemon launched a Canadian e-commerce site for its Ivivva brand, a line of dance and athletic apparel for active girls. The company will launch an Ivivva e-commerce site at some point soon in the U.S., although a specific date isn’t set, says CEO Christine Day.
LuLuLemon also plans further international online expansion, Day told analysts on the company’s recent second quarter earnings call. “We took the next step with Ivivva with the launch of our new Ivivva e-commerce site in Canada with the U.S. to follow late fall,” Day told analysts. “Beginning next year, you will see us add additional country sites to e-commerce, along with other grassroot strategies to seize the market while remaining focused on the large opportunity we continue to have in the U.S.”
For the first two quarters:
- Direct sales increased 73.3% to $32.4 million from $18.7 million in the first two quarters of 2010.
- Total sales increased 37.4% to $399.1 million from $290.5 million.
- Comparable-store sales increased 18%.
- Net income grew year over year 73.4% to $71.8 million from $41.4 million.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 8.1% of total sales compared to 6.4% in the second quarter of 2010.