Web sales grow 17% for NBTY in fiscal 2012
December 19, 2012 10:01 AM
For the 2012 fiscal year ended Oct. 27, NBTY, a retailer of vitamins and nutritional supplements that is No. 152 in the 2012 Internet Retailer Top 500, reported:
- The Internet accounted for 66% of all direct response sales compared with 61% of direct response sales in fiscal 2011. Based on these metrics, Internet Retailer calculates that e-commerce sales increased 16.6% to $183 million in fiscal 2012 from $157 million in fiscal 2010.
- Direct response sales, which include catalog and web, grew year over year 7.7% to $277.3 million from $257.5 million.
- Total sales grew 4.5% to $2.99 billion from $2.86 billion in fiscal 2010.
- North American retail sales grew 6.8% to $219.8 million from $205.9 million.
- Net income increased 390% to $146.5 million from net income of $29.9 million in the prior year.
The web accounted for 6.1% of total sales compared with 5.5% in fiscal 2011.
NBTY didn’t break out fourth quarter metrics in its newly filed annual report with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. But the filing did note that its flagship e-commerce site, Puritan.com, draws average traffic of about 1.2 million unique visitors each month.