The web accounts for 42% of sales at Staples
March 11, 2011 12:36 PM
The web generated a modest increase in sales for office supplies chain retailer Staples Inc. in 2010.
For the year ended Jan. 29, Staples, No. 2 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Web sales increased 4.1% to $10.2 billion from $9.8 billion in 2009.
- Total sales grew year over year 1.1% to $24.54 billion from $24.27 billion.
- North American comparable-store sales decreased 1%.
- Net income rose 19.4% to $881.9 million from $738.7 million in 2009.
Internet Retailer calculates the web accounted for 41.6% of total sales in 2010 compared with 40.4% in 2010.
“Our business is healthy, we’re investing in the right things, and our growth initiatives are gaining traction and positioning us well for a strong 2011,” says CEO Ron Sargent.
Staples doesn’t break out quarterly web sales, but in Q4 did report:
- Total sales grew year over year 0.2% to $6.41 billion from $6.40 billion in Q4 2009.
- North American comparable-store sales decreased 2%.
Net income rose 17.4% to $274.7 million from $233.9 million in Q4 2009.