Online sales are flat in bookseller Indigo’s first quarter.
August 9, 2013 10:00 AM
Online sales were unchanged in the first quarter for Indigo Books & Music Inc., a Canada-based bookseller, compared to the same quarter a year ago. Indigo also posted lower overall quarterly sales for the fiscal 2014 first quarter ended June 29.
For the first quarter of fiscal 2014, Indigo, No. 218 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Online sales of C$17.8 million ($17.2 million), no change from the first quarter of 2013.
- Total sales of C$171.5 million ($165.4 million), an 8.1% decrease from C$186.6 million ($179.9 million).
- Comparable-store sales decreased 5.8% for Indigo and Chapters superstores and 13.1% for its Coles and IndigoSpirit small-format stores.
- Net loss of C$15 million ($14.5 million), a broadening from a year-ago loss of C$5.5 million ($5.3 million).
- E-commerce accounted for 10.4% of total sales compared with 9.5% in in the first quarter of fiscal 2013.
In the first quarter, Indigo began selling office supplies made by Poppin, an e-retailer of colorful, minimalist-style office supplies () in an exclusive deal in its stores and online at Indigo.ca.