One-day orders double for JD.com’s anniversary sale
June 23, 2015 03:10 PM
It was a very happy anniversary in many ways for JD.com Inc. last Thursday. Its 24-hour anniversary sale blew away company records, led by total orders placed doubling to 15 million from the same day in 2014, the company reported.
JD.com, No. 1 in the Internet Retailer 2015 China 500, said the apparel and shoes categories sold the most items. On the day, JD.com sold more than 8 million articles of clothing and 1.2 million pairs of shoes.
The web retailer’s flash sale channel recorded a thirtyfold increase in orders compared with the 2014 sale on June 18.
Mobile commerce now dominates online sales. More than 60% of orders were placed via mobile devices on June 18, including through JD.com’s native app, its mobile website and its Weixin (WeChat) and Mobile QQ instant messaging service entry points. The previous record one-day rate of orders from mobile, for JD.com’s November 11 Singles Day sales event in 2014, was 40%. The 2015 surge comes about one year after Tencent’s mobile social media platforms, Weixin and Mobile QQ, launched access points for shopping with JD.com.
In March 2014, JD acquired Tencent's two e-retail sites, wanggou.com and PaiPai.com, and a minority stake in Tencent’s major e-retail site, Yixun.com. Tencent also bought an approximately 15% stake in JD and agreed to promote JD.com in its popular mobile messaging platforms.
Other results of the June 18 anniversary sale include:
- Total sales of smart devices were 7.5 times higher than last year’s sale.
- Fitness wristband Mi Band from Xiaomi topped the smart device category, selling more than 45,000 units.
- Order volume on JD Daojia, JD.com’s online-to-offline platform that launched three months ago, was five times higher than its normal average, a one-day record.
- Compared to May averages, for the day JD.com saw a twentyfold increase in the sales of products in the personal care and cosmetics category, as well as in the mother and children’s products category.
- For the day, food sales increased fourfold over the May average.
In addition, JD.com also announced figures for June 1-18, which includes both the one-day sale and lead-up promotional period:
- JD.com sold more than 4.16 million mobile phones.
- Apple’s iPhone topped the list of mobile phones by sales volume, selling more than $225 million worth of merchandise.
- Huawei’s Honor sold the most by units, at 920,000.