HSN’s mobile sales rise 37% in the third quarter
November 12, 2014 01:22 PM
Web sales at TV, web and mobile retailer HSN Inc. grew modestly in the third quarter of fiscal 2014, but outpaced total sales growth.
Mobile commerce sales were the star, accounting for 16% of all sales, or $134 million, in the third quarter, an increase of 37% from $97.8 million in the same quarter last year, says Mindy Grossman, CEO. “Digital sales were up 7% and mobile sales increased 37%, with mobile now representing 16% of our total business." HSN refers to e-commerce sales as digital sales.
HSN Inc. includes HSN and catalog and web retailer Cornerstone Brands.
For the third quarter ended Sept. 30, HSN, No. 26 in the 2014 Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Online sales for HSN Inc., which includes HSN and catalog and web retailer Cornerstone Brands, accounted for 47.4% of total sales. Based on that metric, web sales were $397.0 million, up by 6.9% from $371.5 million in the second quarter of 2013. E-commerce sales include HSN’s Cornerstone home and apparel brands.
- Web sales for HSN.com were $224.4 million, up by 13.2% from $198.2 million.
- Online sales for Cornerstone Brands, a collection of apparel and home furnishings brands that sell via catalog and the web, were $172.4 million, a 0.4% decrease from $173.1 million.
- Total sales for HSN Inc., including HSN and Cornerstone, of $837.5 million, a 4.8% increase from $799.0 million.
- Total sales for HSN of $578.3 million, up by 7.4% from $538.6 million.
- Total sales for Cornerstone of $259.2 million, a decrease of 0.4% from $260.3 million.
- Average ticket was $62.35, up by 3% from $60.53.
- Net income was $39.5 million down by 6.2% from $42.1 million in the same period last year.
For the first nine months of 2014, HSN reported:
- E-commerce sales for HSN Inc. accounted for 47% of total sales. Based on that figure, web sales were $1.16 billion, up by 7.4% from $1.08 billion in the prior year period.
- Total sales for HSN Inc. were $2.47 billion, up by 3.8% from $2.38 billion in the first nine months of 2013.
- Net income for HSN Inc. of $104.7 million, down by 10.4% from $116.9 million in the same period last year.
- Web sales for HSN were $638.4 million, up by 10.0% from $580.4 million.
- Online sales for Cornerstone were $521.1 million, up by 4.0% from $501.1 million.
- Total sales for HSN of $1.68 billion, up by 4.3% from $1.61 billion.
- Total sales for Cornerstone of $790.8 million, up by 2.8% from $769.2 million.