E-commerce is the Q2 star for Aeropostale
August 20, 2012 03:54 PM
Web sales took a big step forward in the second quarter for Aeropostale Inc., while total sales advanced modestly.
For the second quarter ended July 28, Aeropostale, No. 114 in the 2012 Internet Retailer Top 500 reported:
- E-commerce sales of $31.9 million, a 27% increase from $25.1 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Total sales of $485.3 million, up by 3.7% from $468.2 million.
- Comparable-store sales declined 1%.
- Net income of $100,000, compared with net income of $2.9 million in the second quarter of 2011.
The web represented 6.6% of total sales in Q2 2012, compared with 5.4% in the prior year period.
“Our core basics business experienced significant pricing pressure due to the highly promotional and competitive retail landscape,” says Thomas P. Johnson, CEO.
For the first six months:
- Web sales of $69.1 million, up by 30% from $53.3 million in the same period last year.
- Total sales of $982.6 million, a 4.8% increase from $937.4 million.
- Comparable-store sales were flat.
- Net income of $10.6 million compared with net income of $19.3 million in the first six months of 2011.
The web represented 7.0% of total sales in the first half of 2012, compared with 5.7% in the prior year period.