Books-A-Million’s web sales decline in the first quarter
September 3, 2014 10:42 AM
It was a tough first quarter for chain book retailer Books-A-Million Inc. as web sales declined and retail sales inched ahead.
For the first quarter of fiscal 2015 ended May 3, Books-A-Million, No. 476 in the Internet Retailer 2014 Top 500 Guide, reported:
- Online sales declined by 14.0% to $4.9 million from $5.7 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2014.
- Retail sales of $101.9 million, up by 0.5% from $101.4 million.
- Comparable-store sales for the retail trade segment, excluding e-commerce, decreased 2.0%.
- Total sales, including real estate development and management, of $103.8 million, up by 0.2% from $103.6 million.
- Net loss of $6.0 million, compared with a net loss of $3.7 million in Q1 2014.
- E-commerce accounted for 4.7% of the company’s total revenue in the quarter, compared with 5.5% in the same period last year.
The decrease in online sales was because of lower sales of e-reader devices and decreases in traditional Internet book sales, the company says.
Last week, Books-A-Million announced it hired James Phelps for the newly created position of vice president of e-commerce. He will be responsible for executing branding, merchandising and marketing strategy for Booksamillion.com.