Aeropostale’s web sales fall nearly 15% in Q3
December 9, 2014 05:19 PM
It was a rough quarter at Aeropostale Inc., as its overall sales fell 12% and its online sales dipped nearly 15% in the third quarter on 2014.
For the third quarter ended Nov. 1, Aeropostale, No. 123 in the Internet Retailer 2014 Top 500 Guide, reported:
- E-commerce sales decreased to $44.0 million, down 14.6% from $51.5 million in the third quarter of 2013.
- Total sales decreased 12.0% to $452.9 million from $514.6 million.
- Comparable-store sales declined 11%.
- Net loss was $52.3 million compared to a $25.6 million loss.
- The web accounted for 9.7% of total sales in the quarter compared to 10.0% in the third quarter of 2013.
For the first nine months:
- E-commerce sales decreased 15.4% to $112.0 million from $132.4 million.
- Total sales decreased 12.4% to $1.245 billion from $1.421 million.
- Net loss was $192.9 million compared with $71.5 net loss.
- The web accounted for 9.0% of total sales compared to 9.3% in the prior year.
The retailer says it will drive growth via marketing and social media.
“As the fight for traffic and market share continues to heat up in the mall, marketing and social media remain among our greatest weapons,” said Emilia Fabricant, the retailer’s executive vice president, during a conference call with analysts. “We intend to drive demand through exclusive product partnerships with key teen influencers, as well as through an arsenal of compelling promotions.”